The extent of asbestos contamination in drinking water and its relationship with water aggressiveness in the distribution network in Tuscany was investigated. Fifty-nine samples of drinking water were collected and analysed for asbestos content by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and X-ray dispersive microprobe. Every sample was also analysed to determine water aggressiveness. Asbestos fibres were detected in 24% of samples, at concentrations which were always lower than 0.04 million fibres/L. In 79% of these samples, asbestos fibres could have been released into the water from asbestos-cement pipes; in the remaining 21% they may have originated from asbestos-containing aquifers. 43% of the waters were non-aggressive, 54% moderately aggressive and 3% highly aggressive. Samples of aggressive water taken from asbestos-cement pipes were too few to determine any significant correlation between aggressiveness of drinking water and release of asbestos fibres from asbestos-cement pipes.
Results of a survey on asbestos fibre contamination of drinking water in Tuscany, Italy
M. Cherubini, G. Fornaciai, F. Mantelli, E. Chellini, C. Sacco; Results of a survey on asbestos fibre contamination of drinking water in Tuscany, Italy. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology-Aqua 1 February 1998; 47 (1): 1–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.1998.0002
Download citation file: