Data from a large database of 140 dam failure cases are used with gene expression programming (GEP) to develop new empirical formulae of physical meaning for prediction of non-dimensional key dam breach parameters. The GEP models are trained on 75% of the data set and validated on the remaining 25%. Parametric and error analyses are conducted to confirm the robustness of the developed relations. Moreover, uncertainty analyses using the Monte Carlo technique is performed to check for the output uncertainty of key dam breach parameters and the contribution of various input parameters to the overall output uncertainty. It is found that uncertainties of 20 to 40% are calculated for the developed GEP models with reservoir shape factor and dam erodibility being main influential predictors.
Skip Nav Destination
Research Article| October 09 2013
Gene expression models for prediction of dam breach parameters
Ahmed M. A. Sattar
1Department of Irrigation and Hydraulics, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt Currently at: German University, Cairo, Egypt
Search for other works by this author on:
Journal of Hydroinformatics (2014) 16 (3): 550–571.
June 29 2013
August 08 2013
Ahmed M. A. Sattar; Gene expression models for prediction of dam breach parameters. Journal of Hydroinformatics 1 May 2014; 16 (3): 550–571. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2013.084
Download citation file: