A potable water survey, in two important municipalities of the state of Sinaloa, Mexico was conducted. Culiacan, capital city of Sinaloa and its neighboring municipality, Navolato were selected to enumerate Aeromonas hydrophila, Escherichia coli, fecal and total coliforms, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Heterotrophic plate count bacteria from 100 households' taps. Manganese; residual chlorine; pH; temperature and turbidity were also examined. Overall, Aeromonas hydrophila was not detected in any of the samples, 3% contained Escherichia coli, 28% had fecal and 46 total coliforms, P. aeruginosa was present in 15% of the samples. HPC bacteria were found in all of the samples but 43% had numbers greater than 500 CFU per ml. The average numbers obtained for the physico-chemical parameters were 0.15 mg/L; 0.32 mg/L; 6.5; 28.7°C and 2.92 NTU for manganese, residual chlorine, pH, temperature and turbidity, respectively. The findings of the current study demonstrate that potable water from both municipalities can harbor substantial numbers of indicator and opportunistic pathogens suggesting that additional treatment in the household may be needed.
Drinking water microbiological survey of the Northwestern State of Sinaloa, Mexico
Cristobal Chaidez, Marcela Soto, Celida Martinez, Bruce Keswick; Drinking water microbiological survey of the Northwestern State of Sinaloa, Mexico. J Water Health 1 March 2008; 6 (1): 125–129. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/wh.2007.011
Download citation file:
Impact Factor 1.744
CiteScore 2.7 • Q2
32 days from submission to first decision on average