Skip to Main Content

Individual impacts of climate variability and human activities on runoff are quantitatively assessed for each catchment using the hydrological model simulation method and the hydrological sensitivity analysis method, respectively, and the results are presented in Table 5. For DPL catchment, the results of both methods are comparable; both showed that climate variability was the dominant factor. The closeness of the results by the two methods indicates the effectiveness of both methods in evaluating the individual impacts of climate variability and human activities on runoff. According to results given by the hydrological sensitivity analysis method, the reduction of runoff for the entire HB catchment during the whole post-change period (1974–2010) was mainly attributed to climate variability, accounting for 60%, while human activities accounted for the remaining 40%. Similar patterns are found in another two main stream catchments, CTG and XX, for which annual runoff changes are largely determined by climate variability as well. This suggests that even though there are dozens of water conservancy constructions, their impacts on runoff changes do not exceed those of climate variability at the decadal scale. This is quite different from the adjacent basins, such as the Yellow River Basin and the Haihe River Basin, where human activities influence runoff greatly (Li et al. 2007; Wang et al. 2013). The possible reason is that precipitation in the Yellow River Basin and Haihe River Basin can hardly satisfy local water demand even in their wet years, while the HB catchment is generally self-sufficient in wet years and the demands of water diversion in the form of irrigation are not strong. But in dry years, when precipitation cannot largely meet the requirements, more water would be withdrawn through these conservancy facilities. As shown in Table 5, DPL, HC, XX and HB catchments suffered more impacts of human activities in their driest decade of the 1990s than in the wet decades (1980s and 2000s).

Table 5

Impacts of climate variability and human activities on streamflow changes for all six catchments derived from the two evaluation methods

MethodPeriodsContributionDPLCTGXINHCXXHB
Hydrological model simulation method 1990s ΔQclim (mm) −88.1 – – –   
ΔQhum (mm) −18.1 – – –   
Iclim (%) −83 – – –   
Ihum (%) −17 – – –   
2000s ΔQclim (mm) 19.5 – – –   
ΔQhum (mm) −2.5 – – –   
Iclim (%) 89 – – –   
Ihum (%) −11 – – –   
Hydrological sensitivity analysis method Break point-1979 ΔQclim (mm) – – −162.3 – −52.0 −38.8 
ΔQhum (mm) – – −74.0 – −52.5 −50.4 
Iclim (%) – – −69 – −50 −43 
Ihum (%) – – −31 – −50 −57 
1980s ΔQclim (mm) – – −13.1 101.4 −4.2 10.9 
ΔQhum (mm) – – −9.9 46.7 −0.3 −2.2 
Iclim (%) – – −57 68 −94 83 
Ihum (%) – – −43 32 −6 −17 
1990s ΔQclim (mm) −82.4 −76.2 −20.7 24.2 −96.3 −57.0 
ΔQhum (mm) −23.8 −17.9 −98.5 28.1 −11.2 −27.8 
Iclim (%) −78 −81 −17 46 −90 −67 
Ihum (%) −22 −19 −83 54 −10 −33 
2000s ΔQclim (mm) 20.4 12.8 33.0 86.4 −28.4 7.7 
ΔQhum (mm) −3.4 −27.2 −158.4 39.2 −6.7 −0.3 
Iclim (%) 86 32 17 69 −81 97 
Ihum (%) −14 −68 −83 31 −19 −3 
Whole changed periods ΔQclim (mm) −32.5 −32.7 −1.7 70.2 −51.9 −23.2 
ΔQhum (mm) −9.2 −19.7 −82.7 39.0 −10.3 −15.3 
Iclim (%) −78 −62 −2 64 −83 −60 
Ihum (%) −22 −38 −98 36 −17 −40 
MethodPeriodsContributionDPLCTGXINHCXXHB
Hydrological model simulation method 1990s ΔQclim (mm) −88.1 – – –   
ΔQhum (mm) −18.1 – – –   
Iclim (%) −83 – – –   
Ihum (%) −17 – – –   
2000s ΔQclim (mm) 19.5 – – –   
ΔQhum (mm) −2.5 – – –   
Iclim (%) 89 – – –   
Ihum (%) −11 – – –   
Hydrological sensitivity analysis method Break point-1979 ΔQclim (mm) – – −162.3 – −52.0 −38.8 
ΔQhum (mm) – – −74.0 – −52.5 −50.4 
Iclim (%) – – −69 – −50 −43 
Ihum (%) – – −31 – −50 −57 
1980s ΔQclim (mm) – – −13.1 101.4 −4.2 10.9 
ΔQhum (mm) – – −9.9 46.7 −0.3 −2.2 
Iclim (%) – – −57 68 −94 83 
Ihum (%) – – −43 32 −6 −17 
1990s ΔQclim (mm) −82.4 −76.2 −20.7 24.2 −96.3 −57.0 
ΔQhum (mm) −23.8 −17.9 −98.5 28.1 −11.2 −27.8 
Iclim (%) −78 −81 −17 46 −90 −67 
Ihum (%) −22 −19 −83 54 −10 −33 
2000s ΔQclim (mm) 20.4 12.8 33.0 86.4 −28.4 7.7 
ΔQhum (mm) −3.4 −27.2 −158.4 39.2 −6.7 −0.3 
Iclim (%) 86 32 17 69 −81 97 
Ihum (%) −14 −68 −83 31 −19 −3 
Whole changed periods ΔQclim (mm) −32.5 −32.7 −1.7 70.2 −51.9 −23.2 
ΔQhum (mm) −9.2 −19.7 −82.7 39.0 −10.3 −15.3 
Iclim (%) −78 −62 −2 64 −83 −60 
Ihum (%) −22 −38 −98 36 −17 −40 

Close Modal

or Create an Account

Close Modal
Close Modal