Skip to Main Content
Table 2

WEAP scenarios of possible future water demand from the Vaal basin, assessed under RCP 4.5 and RCP 8.5

ScenariosDescription
Scenario 1 High population growth rate of 1.82%, as a result of economic expansion, infastructure development, better employment and other socioeconomic factors that attract people to the catchment area. Leading to population increase. Other assumptions for this scenario are increasing irrigation, no intervention 
Scenario 2 High population growth rate, 15% redution in irrigation water use due to the achievement of the strategy to remove unlawful water use 
Scenario 3 High population growth rate, Vaal Water conservation/water demand management (WC/WDM) incorporated, leading to a 15% reduction in municipal water use as a result of reduction in urban water use, loss reduction and water use efficiency 
Scenario 4 Low population growth rate of 1.66%, 15% reduction in municipal water use 
Scenario 5 High population growth rate, achievement of the WC/WDM (15%) reduction in municipal water use and, removal of unlawful water use (15%) resulting in a total of 30% reduction in water use. 
ScenariosDescription
Scenario 1 High population growth rate of 1.82%, as a result of economic expansion, infastructure development, better employment and other socioeconomic factors that attract people to the catchment area. Leading to population increase. Other assumptions for this scenario are increasing irrigation, no intervention 
Scenario 2 High population growth rate, 15% redution in irrigation water use due to the achievement of the strategy to remove unlawful water use 
Scenario 3 High population growth rate, Vaal Water conservation/water demand management (WC/WDM) incorporated, leading to a 15% reduction in municipal water use as a result of reduction in urban water use, loss reduction and water use efficiency 
Scenario 4 Low population growth rate of 1.66%, 15% reduction in municipal water use 
Scenario 5 High population growth rate, achievement of the WC/WDM (15%) reduction in municipal water use and, removal of unlawful water use (15%) resulting in a total of 30% reduction in water use. 
Close Modal

or Create an Account

Close Modal
Close Modal