This study was focused on evaluating the role and the effect of anoxic decay on the extent of simultaneous nitrification–denitrification (SNdN) process sustained in a single membrane bioreactor. The membrane bioreactor was fed with relatively strong domestic sewage and operated at steady state at a sludge age of 36 days at a corresponding suspended solids level maintained in the range of 17,500–21,000 mg/L. The SNdN could be sustained due to diffusion limitation of oxygen into the flocs. The evaluation identified an MLSS threshold level of around 17,000–18,000 mg/L below which nitrogen removal was essentially controlled by denitrification and above, the rate limiting mechanism shifted to nitrification maintaining total nitrogen removal efficiency of 85–95% for a typical domestic sewage. The contribution of anoxic decay process to the overall denitrification potential was evaluated as 60%, substantially higher than the remaining 40% associated with the anoxic growth during the SNdN process.
Effect of anoxic decay process on simultaneous nitrification denitrification in a membrane bioreactor operated without an anoxic tank
M. Sarioglu, G. Insel, N. Artan, D. Orhon; Effect of anoxic decay process on simultaneous nitrification denitrification in a membrane bioreactor operated without an anoxic tank. Water Sci Technol 1 February 2010; 61 (3): 771–780. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2010.853
Download citation file:
Impact Factor 1.915
CiteScore 3.3 • Q2
13 days from submission to first decision on average