WST special issue on
Recent Advances in Pond and Algal Technologies for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery
CALL FOR PAPERS
In a global scenario of increasing energy prices and quest for sustainable human activities, wastewater treatment in the XXI century must undergo a dramatic revision of its current practices. These must aim at developing a new generation of energy-efficient and resource-recovery processes, whilst complying with the ever-stricter environmental regulations.
Wastewater treatment using photosynthetic microorganisms can benefit from the knowledge coming from the use of algae to produce biofuels, food supplements or green pharmaceuticals and of microbial physiology of purple photosynthetic bacteria. Likewise, wastewater as a cheap source of nutrients and inorganic carbon is promising for the mass production of algae-based commodities. For example, microalgae based treatment systems in developing and tropical countries may reduce wastewater treatment costs via the recovery of its inherent resources, while providing effective sanitation services.
The opportunity to bring together expertise in both extensive (ponds) and intensive (photobioreactors) algal systems in a single special issue constitutes a unique overview and discussion platform of the latest scientific developments and practical applications in a field of research that has exponentially increased over the past decade.
In this special issue would like to bring together papers from multiple disciplines on the state-of-the-art of algal based latest technological and scientific advances in the fields of management, characterization, minimization and abatement of industrial wastes (wastewater, off-gas and solid waste), as well as contributions dealing with energy-efficient and waste-to-value processes. Topics covered include:
- Advances in wastewater pond technology (cases of study and fundamental research)
- Alga-bacteria-phatogen/virus interactions
- Algae downstream processing to valuable products
- Algae-based biorefineries
- Algal-Bacterial interactions and microbial ecology
- Algal-bacterial photo-bioreactors/ponds for wastewater treatment
- Biofuels from photosynthetic microorganisms
- Experimental methods, algal respirometry, monitoring, modeling and process control
- Harvesting technologies
- Life cycle assessment
- Macroalgae-based technologies
- Molecular mechanism for carbon and nitrogen uptake
- Purple photosynthetic bacteria-based Wastewater Treatment
- Waste gas treatment and greenhouse gas capture (including biogas upgrading)
- · Deadline for paper submission: 31 December 2019
- · Expected Publication: 31 March 2020
How to submit:
Please make sure that your paper follows the Instructions to Authors, before submitting your paper directly to Water Science and Technology’s peer review system: http://www.editorialmanager.com/wst/default.aspx choosing the category: Algal Technologies 2019 Special Issue. This will send your paper to one of the Guest Editors.
Raúl Muñoz Torre (University of Valladolid, Spain)
Miller A. Camargo-Valero (University of Leeds, United Kingdom)
Raquel Lebrero Fernández (University of Valladolid, Spain)
Esther Arnaiz Rodrigo (University of Valladolid, Spain)
Ignacio de Godos Crespo (University of Valladolid, Spain)