Water Science & Technology Special Issue on
The Future of Wastewater Pond and Algal Technologies for a Sustainable Planet
CALL FOR PAPERS
The IWA Specialist Group in Wastewater Pond and Algal Technologies is aimed at promoting new advances in the use of pond systems and algal bioprocesses for wastewater treatment in both industrialised and developing countries. Our work has a distinctive focus on the provision of sustainable sanitation solutions, reduction of public health risks, environmental protection, and resource recovery to support a circular bio-economy. New wastewater treatment designs and process variants, along with new opportunities to enhance resource efficiency, have emerged around the formerly simple concept of wastewater stabilization ponds, particularly those making use of wastewaters for the cultivation of microalgae and the production of high-value products. In that sense, the 13th IWA Specialist Conference in Wastewater Ponds and Algal Technologies (WPAT22), that will take place in Melbourne, Australia on July 3-6 2022, is the right forum to provide knowledge sharing on new advances in the field and this Special Issue will be the perfect channel for dissemination.
We are pleased to invite you to submit a manuscript to Water Science and Technology for peer review and possible publication in a Special Issue entitled The Future of Wastewater Pond and Algal Technologies for a Sustainable Planet.
Relevant topics include:
- Wastewater treatment using algae;
- Pathogen removal treatment – virus, bacteria and protozoa;
- Trace metal removal from wastewaters using algae;
- Nutrient control, recovery and reuse;
- Removal of emerging organic contaminants – PPCPs/PFA;
- Recovery of algal-bacterial biosolids from treated effluents;
- Energy production from algal-bacterial and other biosolids;
- Production of added value commodities from biosolids;
- Treated wastewater reuse – human and environment risk management;
- Wastewater pond treatment systems: Ecology, conservation and biodiversity;
- Modelling to aid pond/algal wastewater treatment design and operation;
- Case studies – operational, performance and regulatory considerations;
- Closed systems for wastewater treatment – photobioreactors;
- Impact on climate change – greenhouse gas emissions.
Deadline for manuscript submission: May 24th, 2023.
Expected publication: Accepted papers will be published online as soon as possible after acceptance.
Associate Professor Miller Alonso Camargo-Valero, The University of Leeds, UK
Associate Professor Rita Henderson, University of New South Wales, Australia
Professor Howard Fallowfield, Flinders University, Australia
How to submit:
Please make sure that your paper follows the Instructions to Authors of the journal, before submitting your paper directly to Water Science and Technology’s peer review system. Then choose the article type – ‘Special Issue Article OA’ and the submission category – Special Issue Submission Category Name – ‘Special Issue: WPAT22’. This will send your paper to one of the Guest Editors.